Mmmmaple Syrup

Don't you just love nice, warm pancakes with syrup on the weekends?  I try to make waffles, pancakes, or french toast at least once during the weekend.   Wingnut introduced all of us to the wonders of REAL maple syrup when he brought home the absolute best maple syrup from Canada several years ago and many of our children have made the real stuff their topping of choice.  Our two youngest still prefer "lady syrup" or Mrs. Butterworth's syrup to the real thing, but lately the commissary has been out of stock.  I don't know why I don't just pick up a bottle of Log Cabin, or something else.  I guess I am resistant to change.  This weekend our youngest two were once again out of luck and did not want to try real syrup so I heated some honey with a little butter and called it honey syrup.  They loved it, so I think I'll keep that in the repertoire. When given a choice, Wingnut, Karate Kid, OJ and I would rather top our breakfast with fresh fruit, but when that is not in season, or exorbitantly expensive, I whip up a wonderful fruit sauce using frozen fruit.  Any frozen fruit will work, but we prefer wild blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, or peaches.  It really is a very simple recipe:

Fruit Sauce

One bag of frozen fruit
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water

Combine fruit, sugar and water in a medium saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until fruit defrosts and sauce begins to boil.  Add cornstarch mixture and reduce heat to low, stirring until slightly thickened.  For blueberry sauce I add a teaspoon of grated lemon zest to the fruit, sugar and water.  For peaches I add about 1/2 a teaspoon of grated nutmeg (yes, grated fresh, otherwise don't bother).

Comments

Party of Eleven said…
I like how syrup is one of the main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.
Walter said…
First of all...log cabin syrup sucks!!! Secondly Mrs.Bs goes back to the days of going to Grandma's on a Sunday after church, eating bacon and sausage and her great waffles. What was the only syrup on hand??? Need I say more! Your young ones are wise beyond their years. Third...nothing beats the real deal! Especially if it's from Canaada. Tell Wingy to send over a bottle or two the next time he is visiting the 51st state!!! Love ya Mau!
Dawn said…
Love Love Love real maple syrup. I was lucky enough to get a bottle from Maine by a wonderful family we know and it was gone in a flash. Love the fruit sauce too. My daughter really loves blueberry sauce. Thanks for the recipe!

Popular Posts