Top 10 Surprising Things

the Mom, from Shoved to Them, tagged me in this meme earlier this week. Sorry Mom, it's been a busy week, but I'm here today to oblige you ;)

Actually, looking over her list, I thought she had been stealing ideas from my life--I've been on national TV (although it was a game show, nothing so laudable as discussing the evils of RU486);I've driven a Karmann Ghia (although mine was a '68 and its accelerator would stick making it necessary to ride the break at all times); I've got 6 kids (although my #7 is already on the way); I've lived in Oklahoma (unfortunately it was for only 5 years, I'd go back in a heartbeat); My sons are named for Popes, not gunfighters, but I digress.

Anyhoo, as part of this meme, I'm supposed to blog the 10 things I've done that most surprise me. I feel a bit awkward writing so much about myself, but the Mom asked, so here goes:

1) Wingnut and I have been married for nearly 20 years and before we got married we didn't talk about diddly-squat that was important to our future lives together, yet we've somehow succeeded in remaining happily married. We never discussed how many children we'd have, who would care for those children, who would provide, where we would live, who would handle finances, the list goes on. It has only been by the grace of God we have survived married life.

2) When we finally did get around to discussing having children, we were only going to have one child, and this child was going to be a prodigy. We were going to devote everything we had to her education and success. Little did we know, children are absolute miracles and the best thing we could do for them was to give them back to God, and then provide them with a house full of siblings.

3) I am incredibly independent and can do most anything myself. This is especially surprising to me, as my mom did most everything for me. She was almost solely responsible for getting me into college. She made the phone calls, filled out the paperwork, and shoved me out the door. I was once so painfully shy and dependent, I could never see myself on my own. Being married to a military man necessitated independence. I am very often a single parent. If I don't do it, it will not get done. I still despise talking on the phone. Having to speak to a repairman or customer service person of any kind is enough to make my palms sweat.

4) I like to keep my room clean. If you ask my mom, or my college room mates, they would be just as surprised as I am.

5) I'm absolutely terrified of flying. Um, my husband is a pilot. Does this even make sense?

6) I truly love to throw parties and have people over for dinner. I'm shy by nature, and I usually enjoy quiet and solitude.

7) I have been happy and enjoyed every move we've made and every place we've lived. I thought I'd hate Oklahoma. It's been my favorite home so far. I cried when Wingnut volunteered to PCS to Okinawa, Japan. I had a most marvelous time and made the most of living in a completely different culture. I was terrified to move to DC. It is such a large city and so very frightening, yet I can drive into DC or Baltimore with very little palm sweating.

8) I converted to Catholicism. When I married Wingnut, I promised my mother I would never convert. Boy, was I ever wrong. Not only did I convert, I embraced, and brought my hubby back into the Church along with me.

9) Despite the very liberal, liberal arts degree I earned in college, I'm very conservative--fiscally and socially. In school I was a member of Amnesty International and went to a Michael Dukakis rally. Remember Dukakis?

10) I'm extremely close to my brother and sister. They are two of my three very best friends. We were siblings. We used to beat the junk out of each other. When did we become friends?

So there we have it. Did I use "I" enough? Sheesh! Now it's my turn to tag some folks. Trust me, I understand if life is just too busy to participate.

I tag:


Comments

Rebecca Frech said…
Great list!

I promise I wasn't stealing ideas from you. We just have a lot in common.

Come back to Oklahoma! but make it before May or I'll be gone. (Want to move to Dallas?)

I plan on owning a Karmann Ghia again some day. It was the best car I ever owned. I miss it.
Rebecca Frech said…
Greenville would be awesome! We'd have a built in "person" when we get there. I'm feeling a little better about Dallas!
Walt said…
Hey Mau,

Ok...I have been very busy and have not been able to comment much on your blog but today I have a few moments and plent of inspiration so here is my top 10 list:

1.I have a wife...who actually loves me and thinks I'm cute...anyone who has ever met me or seen me will be able to understand this surprise.

2. All three of my kids are strong-willed...never saw that one coming since I am captain compliant.

3. I have a job that I absolutely love and look forward to showing up to every day...I figured I would be working in some dark hole somewhere...something like the movie Office Space.

4. I have no other fears but putting my face in water and snakes...the snakes thing makes sense because they have been no good from the beginning of time (read the book of Genesis) so why start liking them now. The water thing I don't know where that came from.

5. I hate clutter...if you saw my room growing up you would think I would have a masters degree in it. I just got done cleaning out my garage on a Friday night because the clutter bothered me so much I couldn't wait until Saturday to clean.

6. I love my sisters...God only knows how we ended up loving each other being how disfunctional and weird we truly are.

7. I am quiet and love my solitude when I'm at home. This might be a shocker to some but I tend to be quite chatty and am off the charts when it comes to being extraverted in social settings.

8. Ohio sucks...if you are from there and are offended by that comment...deal with it.

9. Dukakis??? He looked like a muppets character...I am actually quite moderate in my views...some would find that surprising since I was a pastor for 15 years. The prodestant church was good for something...

10. The last surprising thing to me is the whole chef boyardee thing...why do spagetti os and ravioli taste so good when you are a kid but tastes like p*#p when you are an adult...I don't get it.

I love ya Mau,

YourBro
Anonymous said…
Yay! My first tag! I'm so excited. We are from Oklahoma and we would go back too if we could. Maybe someday long down the road....
Sarah Oldham said…
Wow, are you sure you want me to drivel on and on about myself? HA HA!!! I'll get on this. Thanks, love. I miss seeing you the little we were able to . . . I'm horribly tempted to push for a return to MD after this tour (not 'cos I don't love it here - and the money is better), but 'cos I could buy a home (finally) and settle down and we could hang out and invite JM over and start a book club (force JM to read some good stuff ha ha ha). ;)
Sarah Oldham said…
Done. It was fun, thanks!!!
Dawn said…
Thanks for the tag! I love Walt's list. Your brother makes me crack up. He's hilarious.

Popular Posts