A Case of the Mom Guilts

My grandmother is turning 100 on the 1st of October. She is the cornerstone of our family and my family is planning a big blowout party to celebrate this milestone. I felt I really needed to go. Wingnut took leave from work and I purchased tickets. I am stoked!

Unfortunately, I am not one that relishes the thought of leaving my kiddos, even at home with their dad. In the nearly 20 years we've been married, I've only travelled and left kids at home two times, and both of those times I brought along my youngest at the time. Both of those trips were 10 years ago.

I leave for Spokane on Friday afternoon and I return on Monday night. I was really looking forward to the trip, until I mentioned it to Lil' Wingnut. He burst into tears. Suddenly I feel bad. I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help it. Wingnut will do a great job taking care of the kids. He's a wonderful dad, and he's actually looking forward to "spoiling" them while I'm gone. Yet, he's not mom. Mom is soft and sympathetic. She takes care of every need and has compassion for little bumps and bruises. Mom stays in bed and cuddles little ones. Mom understands every little quirk and preference. Dad is great, but he just isn't mom.

Say a little prayer for Lil' Wingnut. This is going to be a tough weekend for him. While you're at it, say a prayer for Wingnut too, I think he's really going to need it. Wait until he sees the schedule for the weekend. He's not going to have a moment to breath!

Comments

Party of Eleven said…
Let me know if you need me to take a few kids on Saturday. I'd be happy to help out in any way! Have a great time!
Katie said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said…
I will be praying for the lil'guy! I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy your trip!
Walt said…
Hey Mau,

Tell Lil Wingster to man-up. I get to have my older sister in town for a couple of days without kids! It's MY TURN! Dude you get her hugs all the time...she needs to come out West to spoil her little brother. So dry up the tears, be a man! and quit using the guilt trip to make my sister feel bad about seeing her brother!

Love Ya Mau

YourBro
Anonymous said…
Try not to feel bad. The kids will get some good "Dad time" while you're gone. Just wait, you'll come back feeling bad because they won't have missed you at all. LOL
sam said…
what a good way for everyone to get ready for the baby...I have found that the kids count down till I leave, and they can have dad time.

Popular Posts