Movie Review: Inception


Christopher Nolan is likely the most interesting and talented writer/director/producer in Hollywood today. Wingnut and I have been fans since his low budget days and his film Memento. We've pretty much loved every one of his movies with the exception of Insomnia. We absolutely love what he has done for the Batman franchise. Our expectations for Inception were high and were raised to an even higher level after reading the plot synopsis. The concept for this film is absolutely fascinating.

Dom Cobb deals in dreams. He and his team steal or extract valuable information from their targets by entering a shared dream state. Currently on the run for a crime that is revealed later in the movie, Cobb is offered an opportunity to clear his name and return home to his family if he is able to succeed in not extracting information from his new target, but implanting an idea in the target's subconscious.

It sounds much more complicated than it really is. Nolan is able to weave a complex story with unbelievable simplicity. This movie has some of the most stunning visuals and special effects I've seen in a movie since the Matrix. To say we enjoyed this movie would be an understatement. This has to be one of the best films I have ever seen in a theater. Acting wise DiCaprio, although one of the weakest actors in the film does a tolerable job. Although her character was an integral piece used for revealing the movies deepest mysteries, Ellen Page was the weakest link. We racked our brains for a better actress for her part and came up blank, too bad, as she was a bit of a distraction. The rest of the cast, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, and Cillian Murphy were top notch.

Due to frequent violence, although non-graphic, and several instances of profanity, I would recommend this film for older teens and adults only.

If you see one movie with your family this summer, see Despicable Me, if you see one movie with your best friend this year, see Inception.

Comments

Dawn said…
Hubby wanted to see this the other night, I'm not much of a DiCaprio fan so we opted for Knight and Day. It was not bad. But after your review, perhaps we'll check it out. Always looking for another date night :). THanks!
Nicole said…
Hubby saw this with his parents and a friend, and went on a mission to take me to see it. So this past weekend we saw it (in IMAX). That movie is incredible!

It really made me think about how the psyche handles reality and dreaming. I wanted to come home and make a totem of my own!

Hubby said this is one of the few movies he'd like to own. And he definitely wants to see a director's cut!
Rob R. said…
Great review Maurisa! I really enjoyed Memento, and the Nolan Batman, but I never saw Insomnia.

I'm changing my mind based on your review and I think I'll see it this weekend. You also pointed out what I expected...weak performance from DiCaprio. I was a little surprised that you thought Ellen Page had a poor performance, but I'll keep it in mind going in.

Now that I have an idea of the plot it reminds me of a story I've been working on for a couple of years called The Time Merchants. Not quite dreamstealing but something similar!
Tonya said…
I don't care about movie reviews, but I LOVE the picture at the top of your blog!!!! Great shot!
Anonymous said…
Sounds cool. I read a small article about it in one of my issues of Popular Science. I really want to go see Despicable Me.

Jaystar

Popular Posts