I Really Didn't Need to Work on That

Our parish has a brand new women's prayer group up and running. It's lovely getting together with other Catholic wives and mothers, praying a rosary, discussing our lives, and working on various motherly/wifely virtues between meetings.

I loved the first virtue we worked on: Being truly present to our children and listening to what they have to say.  I had to really work on stopping my own little busy work, focus on a particular child and what they were saying.  I hadn't realized how often I give only part of my attention, or even none of my attention to my kiddos.  We had some of our best conversations while out weeding in the garden together.

As our dauntless leader was working up our next goal I immediately recoiled.  She asked us to pay particular attention to being the first to say "I'm sorry," to our spouses.  Ugh.  I hate having to say I'm sorry.  To be the first to do so is almost unbearable.  On top of that, I then knew I would be presented with opportunities over the next two weeks to say, "I'm sorry."  I hate that I might not be the perfect wife and that on occasion I might even get snippy or surly or argumentative.  Just being given this task I knew I was going to have snippy, surly, argumentative days with Wingnut. Argh.  Sure enough, I've had to apologize all right.  It was hard, but I felt a lot better after doing it.  I'm hoping this exercise also helps me recognize times or situations I might get snippy and in recognizing this I might become less likely to snip.  Don't you just love being shown the areas you need work?  God's Work in us is never done.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad I don't have the "I'm sorry" issue. Mostly because I'm usually at fault and recognize it, but oh when I'm right! When I know I'm right then you can bet come Hell or high water I won't relent. Klayt is the one with trouble saying "I'm sorry" and I make sure to get it out of him when he needs to. It usually involves pretty flowers so another plus for me. =)

Popular Posts