Trench Composting

This season I'm trying trench composting in my garden.  It's incredibly easy to do and I'm already seeing vast improvement in my garden soil.  We keep a stainless steel kitchen scraps bucket on the counter and fill it with scraps of fruits, veggies, egg shells, and coffee grounds.  Once it is full we dump it in a bigger bucket set outside our garage.  It takes about two or three weeks to fill the larger bucket and in that time the compost has a bit of time to "cook" before being placed in the garden.


We dig a shallow trench several feet long between rows of plants in the garden.



We then spread our cooked compost down the trench.  It gets pretty stinky, but thats a good thing.


We then cover the trench with soil and just leave it to finish decomposing.

It will be interesting to see how the soil in the composted areas compares to the rest of the garden when Wingnut tills it this fall, but I have a feeling it will be look pretty rich.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would love to do this but it may have to be on my check list for next year. I got to get into our house first. lol

Popular Posts