What to Do for Lent

Tomorrow marks the beginning of another Lenten season. I always look forward to Lent and make grandiose spiritual plans every year that inevitably end up in disappointment. I suppose I expect to make some miraculous change in myself and that all my faults will suddenly disappear if I just make a good enough and holy enough Lent. It never happens. I've been wracking my brain over what practice I shall adopt this year. That, right there, is the problem. I'm wracking my brain and not praying.

This morning I visited Mary's wonderful blog, Cheerios Do Fly!!! and read her quote of the day. A little light shone on my difficulty. You'll never guess what my stumbling block is. . . PRIDE. Isn't that a sin we all struggle with? Here is just a portion of the quote Mary posted:

"Don't give in to discouragement. If you are discouraged it is a sign of pride because it shows you trust in your own powers. " --Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Nothing could be truer of myself.

Lord, teach me to be humble and to put my trust more fully in you. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts