Snappy Book Reviews

Instead of gaming or perusing the web on my iPad all during Lent, I've been reading a ton.  I've done a bit of spiritual reading, including the Magnificat and The Daily Examen.  I've read a couple self-help books, most notably Beyond the Birds and the Bees--I still don't know how to broach that subject with my kids, sigh.  I've also read several novels.  Three in particular that will get some very short and snappy reviews here.

Have you discovered Wilkie Collins?  He was a contemporary of Charles Dickens and I finished one of his novels during Lent.  The Woman in White is regarded as the first in the genre of "sensation novels".  A mystery set in Victorian England that is written from the point of view of various characters.  Reminiscent of Dickens, yet a much easier read, I found the story and the mystery spellbinding and I absolutely loved it.

On the recommendation of another blogger, I picked up a couple of Maeve Binchy's novels.  Light a Penny Candle was depressing and disappointing and I personally would not recommend it to anyone.  I like quite a bit more redemption in my novels and redemption was exactly what Light a Penny Candle lacked.  I'd seen A Circle of Friends on video many years ago and remembered I enjoyed it.  I think the book is even better.  I especially loved the positive portrayal of religious sisters in the book, most notably Mother Francis.  I'm not sure if I enjoy Binchy's style of writing enough to read any of her other novels.

I apologize for such scanty reviews, but it is Holy Week and we are of course busy as bees preparing for our solemn observances, as well as getting our house as ready as possible for our two oldest daughters to be home for several days.  Have a most blessed Holy Week!

Comments

Sophie Miriam said…
I would recommend In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden, if you haven't already read it.

Popular Posts