My New Toy

The Crescat wrote an intriguing article regarding her thoughts on the link between obesity and poverty and her decision to be more self-sustaining.  She and I are of like mind.  For years I've wanted to grow more of our own produce.  I can certainly better control what goes into food I grow.  I can use organic growing medium, I can limit, even eliminate pesticides, and I can with to harvest until the fruits and veggies are at peak.  These steps are bound to be healthier and even tastier.

Up front, there will be a bit of a cost.  Wingnut broke down and bought me the tractor of my dreams along with a pull behind tiller to break the soil initially and then to use at the end of each season to cultivate and amend the soil.  It was an easy decision for him.  He wants to make me happy, he likes the idea of saving money down the road on the food we grow ourselves, and he didn't relish the idea of walking behind a front tine tiller, especially after I showed him how large of a garden I wanted.

I posted about our purchase on Facebook last night, and my sister-in-law teased about how "romantic" the gift was.  Little does she know, I find that kind of gift truly romantic, indeed.  I still like a bouquet of flowers now and again, but a tractor, now that really sets my heart to pitter-patting!



As we make progress on our garden, I'll of course, be documenting with photos and stories.  This year a garden, I'm hoping for a chicken coop the next.

Comments

Walt said…
Hey Mau,

That sounds like the makings of a great redneck joke! Like... If your heart goes pitter patter every time you hear the words John Deere...then you might be a redneck. OR If the scent of diesel fuel is your favorite perfume...then you might be a redneck. OR If someone asks you what name you would pick for child number 8 and your first thought is "Manure" ... then you might be a redneck.

That's all I have to say about your "Pitter Patter" story.

Love Ya Mau!

YourBro
Anonymous said…
I don't know if you read Cari's blog, but I think her chicken coop is very cute! Can't wait to see pics of your new garden. =)

http://www.clan-donaldson.com/2012/03/chicken-coops-and-zip-lines.html

Popular Posts