Carrot Cake, Yes!

Carrot cake is my absolute favorite.  I haven't made it in years, though, because carrot cake without cream cheese frosting is just not worth having.  I recently was able to have a slice of my favorite cake after dinner in a local restaurant.  The cake, itself was absolutely delicious, but the frosting was a bit too sweet and just did not have that characteristic tang of cream cheese, so I ended up feeling a tad disappointed.  I was determined to treat myself on Mother's Day to carrot cake and so I knew I would need to find a substitute for cream cheese (it just isn't right to make a cake that half the family cannot have due to cow's milk allergies).  I think I succeeded.  I subbed semi-soft goat cheese and creamed goat cheese spread in the final recipe. For our friends who also struggle with dairy issues, here is my recipe for Goat Cheese Frosting.











Goat Cheese Frosting


8 oz semi soft goat cheese at room temperature
5 oz goat cheese spread
8 TBSP unsalted butter at room temperature
zest of one lemon
2 lb powdered sugar


Cream cheeses, butter, and zest in a large mixing bowl.  Carefully add powdered sugar a cup at a time and continue mixing until incorporated and to the spreading consistency you desire for frosting.

This makes more than enough frosting to frost two or three layered cake.






Here is the finished cake.  It was so yummy and had just the right amount of tang to sweetness.


Comments

Popular Posts