Getting to Know Utahans

Here in Utah, folks are referred to as Utahan. Just in case you were wondering.

In Utah, Mormons refer to themselves as LDS (Latter Day Saints) and not usually as Mormon.  I'm not sure why this is, but it may have to do with a desire to distance themselves from their old Mormon polygamy days.

The Utahans keep apologizing for how little snow there has been this year.  Hey, it's quite alright!  It's been several years since I've had to drive regularly on snow covered roads, so having less snow than normal is just fine with me.  The family does intend to take up skiing next winter, so there had better be a boondoggle of snow come next November.

In Utah, fries are served with fry sauce and not ketchup.  I actually remember fry sauce from high school in Spokane (many of my classmates were Mormon and had imported fry sauce into my home town).  Basically fry sauce is just mayo and ketchup mixed together.  It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it really is.  I LOVE fry sauce and had completely forgotten about it until we got burgers and fries from In-N-Out Burger.  Yum!

In Utah, when one refers to his or her partner, they mean business partner and not the "life"partner thing we might think of in more advanced/liberal/urban areas of the US.

I'm finding our Utah experience to be pretty darn interesting.

Comments

Neen said…
I long to move again. I loved it when we first moved to Houston from St. Louis. It was a new world to me. I laughed at all the new words and the different way of life. We have been here 10 years and I so want a new adventure. Good luck with yours.
Anonymous said…
Ha ha soooo true

SkoshiA
Moving to a place so different from the one you left is ALWAYS interesting! :)And, I gave you a little blogging award...this post is one reason for it: http://stmonicasbridge.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/liebster-award/

Popular Posts