Lenten Soup Dinners

Last week we made red bean and rice soup from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups and Irish brown bread from The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking.  The soup was very good.  It was creamy and hearty, but we all agreed it needed more beans and less rice.  I wrote that tip in my cookbook as I will be making that soup again in the future.  The bread was a little different. The children seemed to enjoy it.  With lots of butter is was fairly tolerable, but I most likely won't make that one again. Actually, I don't know why I didn't think to make cornbread.  It would have made a lot more sense, don't you think, to have red beans and rice with cornbread?

Tonight we are going to make corn soup from 12 Months.  It looks like a quick and hearty vegetable soup.  We'll also have Loyola buttermilk bread from Secrets, which I make quite frequently.  I have four stars next to that recipe. It is absolutely wonderful, moist and buttery, and very easy.  I'll post a quick review of this week's soup along with plans for our Friday soup next Friday.

Hope your Lent is going well.   Pax Christi!

Comments

Sarah - Kala said…
Buttermilk bread recipe, please? I know, I won't rush you. :) I think those recipes sound delish. Do you recommend I buy a copy of that recipe book?
Rob said…
want to send a big batch of everything over to my house? we are having frozen cheese pizzas from Safeway.....oh well it is Lent

Popular Posts