Dreaming

This is a post for posterity's sake.  Not everything is wine and roses around here.  I know that may be earth shattering for some of you, but it is the hard truth.  I am not perfect, my husband is not perfect, although he does come pretty close ;-), and our children are not perfect.  I don't keep a perfect house, I'm not a perfect cook, and I am not a perfect homeschooler.  Enough said.

Most of the time I love homeschooling.  I can't wait for May, when I  start researching and planning for the next year. I love having the kids around and I love being the one that teaches them to read, write, add, subtract, multiply and divide.  I love molding their minds and encouraging them to think for themselves.  I hope I do it justice in the end.  We have up days, weeks, months and years.  We have down days, weeks, months and years.  But all in all I know in my heart we have made the right decision to homeschool.

For one of my children everything is a challenge.  I don't mean ability wise.  This child is very intelligent and capable, but this child chooses to be a challenge. Motivation is a challenge, neatness is a challenge, chores are a challenge, relationships are a challenge.  I know I need to lift this child up more in prayer.  This leads me to a confession.  I was online this weekend looking at Catholic high schools in our area.  We are blessed to live in the DC area where there are so many great Catholic high schools.  I even looked at the Opus Dei school.  Holy cow!  I knew private education was expensive, but does it really need to cost as much as college?  We could do this. We could afford to send our child to Catholic school, but it would definitely mean our family would sacrifice more than we already do and more than I am prepared to ask.  Ok, I know to pray more and to put on that grim determined face that says, "I can do this.  I can get this child through high school and not lose my mind." I know sending our children to Catholic school is not what we were called to do, but a homeschooling mom can still dream, can't she?

Anyhow, I know you are reading this, my challenging child.  I want you to know we love you more than you can imagine and we really do have your best interests at heart.  Remember everything we ask of you is meant to draw you closer to God, but in the end, you have to be a willing participant. 

Love, 
Mom

*Family service project update: Today we will be washing all the lintels and door frames in the house.  You can probably imagine how marred with sweet, sticky, finger prints they can get.

**Update**
Ok, no joke.  My kids just asked me which one was the "challenging child".  Either I'm good at hiding my frustration (not!) or they are completely oblivious!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Actually, we were just being sarcastic when we asked who it was.

Karatekid
Maurisa said…
Oh, yeah! Well each and every one of you is a challenging child.

Love,
Mom
Sam said…
The Heights is a wonderful school!!! St Peters runs about $3000 a year with all the extras thrown in. It works for us. You can do anything!!! Thy will be done-right?!

Popular Posts