Lemon Bars--Emphasis on the Lemon

When we were kids, my brother, sister and I used to race home from the bus stop after school to bake something sweet and then the three of us would devour it all.  One of our favorites was lemon bars.  I've made the same lemon bar recipe ever since, but have lately decided it needed a little revamping.  I really wanted to boost the tart lemon flavor of the filling which I felt had always been missing from our old familiar recipe.  With a little tweaking, I think I've come up with the perfect-lip-puckering-tart-lemon bar recipe.  This recipe makes a 9 X 13 pan of lemony deliciousness.



Lemon Bars

Crust--

2 cups flour
1 cup butter; softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 TBSP lemon zest

Mix all ingredients together using a mixer or food processor until blended well and the consistency of  pebbly sand.  Press into a greased 9 X 13 pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  Allow to cool for 15 minutes before pouring filling over the top.

Filling--

2 whole eggs
4 egg yolks
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups sugar
2 TBSP lemon zest
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly and pour over cooled crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until filling is completely set and has just begun to brown slightly.  Cool completely and then sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Cut into squares to serve.








Comments

Yes!! More lemony flavor! Thanks for posting, adding to my "must-make" list! :-)

Popular Posts