Greek Roasted Chicken Pitas




Greek Roasted Chicken Pitas
(Makes 8)

For the chicken:

4 bone in, skin on, split chicken breasts (you could use boneless, skinless breasts but would need to adjust cooking temp and time and the chicken would not be nearly as juicy or flavorful)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp garlic powder
grated zest of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place breasts skin side up on a broiler pan.  In a bowl stir together remaining ingredients and then rub each chicken breast evenly with the oil mixture.  Roast in the oven for one hour.  Allow to cool enough to handle.  Remove meat from the bones and slice or shred.

For the sandwiches:
Serve in homemade or store bought pocketless pita.  We make our own using this recipe.  It is worth the little extra effort to have fresh made pita.  Top with sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, sliced red onion, Tzatziki sauce (I have tons of fresh mint growing in my herb garden and so I use it instead of dill for my Tzatziki) and crumbled feta or goat cheese
 .  For my little guys and big guy with milk allergies, instead of the Tzatziki sauce I made a second recipe of the oil mixture I rubbed on the chicken before it was baked and drizzled it over their finished pita sandwiches.

Comments

Popular Posts