You Have a New Friend Request from Jesus?



I began to Facebook a couple of months ago.  Originally I was checking it out to see if I would allow our oldest teen to keep a page and then I began using it to keep in closer touch with my brother, sister and dad.  They all live on the West Coast and are busy with their families, very much like Wingnut and I.  Phone calls don't always work out with the time difference and our schedules, but we keep each other up to date almost daily on Facebook.

I recently saw a sidebar bit on Danielle Bean's webpage that talked about Jesus having a Facebook page.  Sure enough, he does.  If you Facebook, you know you can request to have friends add you to their page.  Jesus' face was there, beckoning me to send a friend request, but I hesitated.  I then began to contemplate, "Why did I hesitate to ask Jesus to be my friend?" And here it is, confession time.  I was ashamed to let Jesus see my Facebook page.  Before you start to freak out and wonder what I have on my page, don't.  It's nothing earth shattering, but I very often post my daily frustrations on my page, especially my daily frustrations with my children.  

As I've posted before, I try very hard to remain positive and uplifting on my blog.  I let my children read my blog and so I do keep my posts fairly uplifting and attempt to set a good example with my daily journal writing.  Occasionally I may go on a rant, but for the most part I post funny, helpful and hopefully inspiring stories on my blog.  

I do not, as a general rule, allow my children read my Facebook page.  I began to think of it as my private space, where I could vent and gripe.  I didn't want them reading about that.  In turn, I didn't want Jesus to read that.  Trust me, I know Jesus knows every thought and feeling I have.  It just really gave me pause to philosophically acknowledge that he knows what I am writing on my Facebook page and that possibly he would not approve.  So, without further eloquence, and with the strong conviction that I should write nothing I could be ashamed of,  I am asking Jesus to be my Facebook friend.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart find favor before you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

-Psalm 19:15 (Confraternity Text of the Catholic Action Edition; 1953)

Comments

Sarah - Kala said…
I like your thinking.

You know, I tried FB for about a week to stay in touch with my sister and brother and niece who are in WA state . . . but the swearing is rampant and I just couldn't take it. So, I closed FB up.

But, I like how you're going to let Jesus be your FB friend. Cool.
momto5minnies said…
I'll have to check out Jesus' page ...

I know what you mean about seeing FB as a place to vent. I try not to be so negative because I do read so much negative stuff from the "friends" that I have. If I complain, I try to put a funny twist to it. Somehow that sounds a little better ;)
Anonymous said…
That's pretty cool! But somebody made that page, so if you add Jesus as your friend, whoever made the page can see yours, right? I'd be a little concerned about that.
P.S. I friended you, but you can deny me if you want to keep your page family-only. I won't be in the least offended.
Maurisa said…
Yes, Teresa, you are right, whoever created the Jesus page can see my page. I'm not too worried about that, but I would not recommend that you do it. My point was that I acknowledge that Jesus knows what I write and what is in my heart. It was a symbolic gesture on my part.

Popular Posts